We make use of cosmetics and perfumes in an effort to improve our appearance … but sometimes the outcome is not what we wanted!
The best known side effects associated with the use of cosmetics are those that occur with skin problems (Dermatitis, rashes, redness, burning, itching, etc..); in predisposed individuals some particularly aggressive substances can cause irritations and allergies.
If you are a person predisposed to allergies or have sensitive skin, make sure that there’s none of those substances in the products you buy. Pay particular attention to cosmetic products of which you are unsure of the origin, they may contain high concentrations of irritants or allergens.
The risk of irritation/allergies is greater if you apply the product on a not perfectly intact skin.
- On the ABC Cosmetics, you can find an in-depth section on the subject, as well as some useful tips on how to behave if ever have a undesired reaction due to the use of a cosmetic.
- The European Commission has established the guidelines that countries belonging to the UE should follow when reporting of serious adverse reactions from cosmetics (SUE=Serious Undesiderable Effect).
- Scientific Committee on Consumer Safety SCCS OPINION on Fragrance allergens in cosmetic products.
- On the European Commission website you can also find a depth study on the possible allergens in fragrances
- Also on the Ministero della Salute website you can find a section on side effects reports, in addition to an insight into hypothetical irregularities of the cosmetics on the market.
This post is also available in: Italian